French Toast is delicious. With the tahini and almond/cashew cream, this french toast has a great, nutty flavor. This recipe is great since it’s pretty much exactly like regular french toast, just with a few substitutes. This is a quick and easy way to enjoy this old treat sans gluten, dairy, and eggs.
This recipe was adapted from http://www.spiritvoyage.com/blog/?p=16415
- 1/2 cup almond/cashew Mimic Creme (original calls for 3/4 cup almond/soy milk)
- 1-1 1/2 tbsp gluten free flour
- 1/2-1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp nutmeg, 2-3 tsps cinnamon
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 1/2-2 tbsp agave syrup (original calls for maple syrup)
- A few slices of Udi’s Gluten Free Whole Grain Bread or your bread of choice
Serves 1-3, Prep time: 15 minutes
Whisk the Mimic Creme, agave syrup, vanilla, and tahini in a small bowl. Add the flour, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Transfer the mixture to a pan or something with a shallow base (a tupperware worked perfectly). Take the bread and coat each side with the mixture. Toss the gooey bread into a frying pan with some Earth Balance (margarine/oil) and let it fry on each side for probably about 3-5 minutes.
Your quick and easy, gluten, vegan french toast is ready to be topped with some maple syrup, fresh fruit, or whatever else you’d like.